After learning very basic techniques for tessellating I began exploring my own ideas - how to apply imagery to fit into the creased shapes.
I engineered a system for 'cutting and pasting' parts of an image to fit into the design.
For the first print I used tracing paper and I was pleased with the overall appearance. The effect was a subtle change in scale between the two layers and the quality of light through the paper.
I observed other people interacting with the piece and I decided to develop the design so that the 'corners' could connect with other squares. The design eventually looked like an "all over" picture with a hidden layer of windows leaving the viewer wondering.
For the next design, I used the 'waterbomb' pattern to create concertina-like boxes. By printed a photograph onto the design before folding it, I engineered a window to fit in each protruding square. Alternatively I used CAD to create the illusion of a 3-dimensional object and printed it - this created a very different effect.
This photograph reminded me very much of a woven pattern - I folded this print with the intention of creating an illusion of a weave.
The concept produced further interesting images when curled it into a tube.
I experimented with joining tessellated sections and developed the idea further using my photographs of windows - these rectangular images were divided by the underlying tessellated pattern which also created a more interesting perspective / effect.
I chose to pleat this photograph because it had vertical lines which gave me a pattern to follow - it created a very rich effect when I concentrated the blocks of colour.